Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Tumblog now up, check there for any updates on the status of 37 or iPBfree.
Also, we are currently adding themes to this board, check out the theme selector at the bottom of the page.

Add Reply
What the Hell is going on?; Wouldn't we all like to know!
Topic Started: Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:34 am (4,798 Views)
Reece
Quietly conniving
Hey everyone,

This is a major pain in the ass for everybody. iPBFree appears to be is gone for good and we had absolutely no warning. It occurred around 15 hours ago, I believe. As I said in the description of this forum, Andrew and I will be posting on the Tumblog as we get information, and you can then be notified of these posts through either Facebook, Twitter, or this forum.

I can't really think what to write right now, so instead, just ask me questions here and I'll respond to them and we'll turn this into a FAQ.

In your reply, if you're using a different username than that I am used to, please let me know who you are. ;)

FAQ

Q. What actually happened?

A. Sadly we don't know yet. The answer is tied up in legalities according to iPBFree admins on Twitter.

Q. Will iPBFree be coming back?

A. Apparently not. In this thread a number of alternatives have been suggested.

Q. Can I retrieve anything?

A. Possibly. iPBFree admins say that had no time to prepare for whatever happened and nothing was saved. However, you may be able to use Google's cache system, which takes a history of your threads and posts, to retrieve things from whenever the last time it was updated (meaning you won't be able to retrieve anything from the last couple of days, but will be from threads and posts that are older).

To do this, follow these steps:

Spoiler: click to toggle

Reece.
Edited by Reece, Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:24 am.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Allie

This may not really be a good question, but is there any really plausible speculation as to WHY something like this would happen? I know the real reason can't be disclosed for legal purposes, but I'd like to know what other people thought.

Reece
Quietly conniving
Sadly no, I really don't have any idea. I thought it possible that a number of administrators of iPBFree had a falling-out and that resulted in one choosing the delete everything, but that idea has since been put down by Tom.

The two Twitters I'm getting most of my info from are as follows. They belong to two iPBFree administrators:

http://twitter.com/tomlough
http://twitter.com/catfriedrice
Edited by Reece, Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:46 am.

Sydlet

We actually thought that it might be a really bad hacking or something along those lines. But then, if it were a hacking, would at least some of our information be able to be retrieved? It's kind of hitting the play-by-post RPG community hard, since a lot of writing was lost and even though the admins are combing Google cache six ways to Sunday, not all of it's possible to get back, especially the newer info.

It's still really good to know that you guys had responses up for us pretty quickly. :)

Reece
Quietly conniving
I'm personally devastated. My forum was a blogging forum and many of my members used it to keep a record of what they do from day to day. May not sound like much, but it was very important to them and me.

I just saw this very saddening Tweet from Tom:

http://twitter.com/tomlough/status/18527662762

Paranoia Survivor
lemon zest for all!
Well, this is certainly unfortunate, to say the least. =(

Allie

I thought it might be a hack as well, but from what Tom has been saying it seems to be too clean cut to be a hack. Maybe someone even above the admins had something to do with it? As an admin of a PBP RPG, I know my members will be hit very hard by the loss and hearing that its permanent and irretrievable is very disconcerting.

Reece
Quietly conniving
That could be the case, but according to Tom, it wasn't the iPBFree owner, Vipul:

http://twitter.com/tomlough/status/18521325936

To my members, you should be able to retrieve information from the 9th and before via Google's cache:

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=%2237project.org%22&hl=en&safe=off&filter=0

To other iPBFree users, you can use the same method. Just go to Google, enter your forum's domain with quotation marks around it (example: "yourforum.ipbfree.com") and then, when the results have come up and you've found a page you'd like to retrieve info from, click on the "Cached" link next to the target URL. Once there, all you'll be able to do is copy text. You won't be able to navigate as the links will take you to the current state of things, which in most cases is nothing.
Edited by Reece, Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:13 am.

Spartan198
Resident Evil Final Days Admin
I wasn't a member of your forum, but I am... well, perhaps I should say was... an admin of my own site on IPBFree and, as you all might expect, I'm pretty crushed over this as well. I had an active forum with a good-sized membership that I'd worked at for close to a year and it now seems to be gone, just like that.

I'm really getting sick of this "we can't tell you anything for legal reasons" bullshit, which, frankly, makes me suspicious that we aren't being told something that we should be told. We deserve some kind of explanation.

At any rate, I thought I'd register and keep updated as to what's going on.

Reece
Quietly conniving
That's perfectly fine Spartan, and I agree with you. It's very frustrating we aren't at least being told why.

I've updated the first post with a few answers. :)

H96

That totally sucks

Allie

I'm certain that the truth, or a very convincing lie, will come out eventually, we just have to wait it out and provide all the support we can to the members of our own boards who might be running in circles right now not knowing what to do.
Edited by Allie, Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:27 am.

H96

Say reece, will we be permanately moving to this place?

Reece
Quietly conniving
Allie
Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:26 am
I'm certain that the truth, or a very convincing lie, will come out eventually, we just have to wait it out and provide all the support we can to the members of our own boards who might be running in circles right now not knowing what to do.
Absolutely. If you have the means and wish to bring your members here, as many non-37ers have joined here already, you're totally welcome too.
H96
Say reece, will we be permanately moving to this place?
Probably not. Zetaboards doesn't do nearly as much as I want it to, which is a shame because iPBFree was pretty much perfect, and issues were going to be resolved with the release of Phalanx. We may have to purchase our own software.
Edited by Reece, Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:31 am.

H96

Mybb?

Allie

Reece
Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:30 am
Allie
Absolutely. If you have the means and wish to bring your members here, as many non-37ers have joined here already, you're totally welcome too.
Thank you, Reece, I've created a private board on IF for my board specifically, but I've posted the link to this forum if my members wish to follow along and discuss the situation as well. After all, many admin their own IPB sites as well.

Sydlet

Perhaps all we can do now is wait. One thing about the internet is that nothing is really kept hidden away forever. I just know we'll have the right answers soon, whether they be truth or convincing lies, like Allie said. Someone will eventually find out.
Edited by Sydlet, Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:35 am.

Spartan198
Allie
we just have to wait it out and provide all the support we can to the members of our own boards who might be running in circles right now not knowing what to do.
I have other methods of contact with some of my members (and I've sent messages out to them to meet me at a friend's forum that I'm in charge of during her absence), but unfortunately not all of them.

Reece
Quietly conniving
H96
Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:32 am
Mybb?
Personally I've always preferred Invision, but as always I'm open to what other people want. I'll make a new forum just us shortly, and we can discuss it there.
Spartan198
Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:36 am
Allie
we just have to wait it out and provide all the support we can to the members of our own boards who might be running in circles right now not knowing what to do.
I have other methods of contact with some of my members (and I've sent messages out to them to meet me at a friend's forum that I'm in charge of during her absence), but unfortunately not all of them.
Yes, that's particularly saddening. I'm just fortunate that I was able to redirect my own domain to here, but thousands of others are not so lucky.
Edited by Reece, Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:39 am.

Spartan198
Reece
Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:37 am
Yes, that's particularly saddening. I'm just fortunate that I was able to redirect my own domain to here, but thousands of others are not so lucky.
Yeah, tell me about it. They're great people, too. :(

Glad to hear you were able to act in time to save your own member base, though. ^_^

2 users reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · iPBFree Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply